Platinum (also known as platinum) is a precious metal widely used in jewelry making. So have you ever wondered what Platinum is? What is its value?
Let’s learn what Platinum is with lamchutaichinh? Is it expensive? What is the application of Platinum? Please go through this article.
Table of Contents
What is Platinum?
Platinum (or platinum) is a chemical element, chemical symbol Pt, with atomic number 78 according to the periodic table. Platinum is the heaviest metallic element weighing 21.45 g/cm3, atomic mass 6 times lighter than diamond, 21 times lighter than water.
- Land price prediction in 2022
- What is a loan limit? Regulations on maximum loan limit
- What is 18K Italian Gold? How much is the price today 1 only? Should I buy it?
- Update Sacombank ATM card withdrawal limit
- How much money do you need to open a savings account? How to open a savings number?
Platinum is a heavy, gray-white, dense and malleable metal. This is one of the rare elements in the Earth’s crust, with a small distribution density, accounting for 5 parts per billion by mass in the Earth’s crust, commonly found in South Africa 80% of the total world production, in some nickel and copper ores.
What are the characteristics and properties of Platinum?
Platinum is a rare metal because it has the following characteristics and properties:
- Atomic Number: 78
- Atomic symbol (periodic table of chemical elements): Pt
- Atomic mass (average mass): 195.1
- Density:21.45 g/cm3
- State of matter: Solid
- Boiling Point: 3825°C (6917°F)
- Melting point: 1768.4°C (3215.1°F)
- Number of natural isotopes (atoms with the same prime number and different number of neutrons): 6
- Number of artificial isotopes (created in the laboratory): 37
- Some common isotopes today: Pt-195 (accounting for 33.83% of the natural amount), Pt-194 (accounting for 32.97% of the natural amount), Pt-196 (accounting for 25.24% of the natural quantity). wild), Pt-198 (7.16% of the wild), Pt-192 (0.78% of the wild) and Pt-190 (0.01% of the wild).
- Platinum is inert, especially not corrosive or affected by acids, and is electrically conductive. It is soluble in some solutions of Halogen Cyanide or soluble aqua regia.
What is the difference between Platinum and white gold?
Some people often confuse Platinum with white gold because of its similar appearance. However, Platinum and white gold are two different metals, two completely different materials.
For Platinum, there are several properties that distinguish it from some other metals:
- Main ingredients: 90-95% pure Pt
- Properties: malleable, not corroded or affected by acids, able to maintain gloss for a while
- Weight: heavier than gold (because the specific gravity of Platinum is greater than gold)
- A rare metal, distributed mainly in South Africa (accounting for 80% of the total world production), only weak in the ores of Nickel and Copper.
- Application: occupies a large proportion in the industry, is a jewelry, an indispensable component in the medical industry, equipment, automation, and is an investment asset.
Some characteristics of white gold distinguish it from Platinum:
- Main composition: gold and a small amount of alloys of some other metals.
- Characteristics: not bright white, slightly discolored, because white gold products are mixed with some other materials), the surface is coated with a layer of rhodium to create a brilliant white color.
- Specific gravity: lighter than gold, so white gold is lighter than Platinum
- As a rare metal because white gold is made up of gold, the rarity is the same as gold
- Application: used as jewelry.
What is the difference between Platinum and Silver?
Some characteristics of silver that distinguish it from Platinum:
- Main ingredients: 92.5% Silver and 7.5% Copper
- Feature: milky white color, no rust, high brightness
- Specific gravity: lighter than Platinum (Silver specific gravity 105000 N/m3)
- Abundant in nature, widely distributed in many places
- Applications: Silver is commonly used as jewelry, coins, household items, industrial equipment, medicine, etc.
Applications of Platinum in life
Platinum is a rare metal, based on the above properties, it is widely used in many fields:
Present in the composition of some anti-cancer drugs, because the possibility of a reaction of Pt is extremely low. Therefore, when used for patients is considered safe.
In addition, it is also used to make some medical devices such as pacemakers, dentures, Platinum does not react with fluids, so assistive devices in the human body use it.
Laboratory equipment such as thermometers, resistors, and dental equipment are also made from Platinum.
Platinum is used as a catalyst to support the creation of plastics, gasoline, fertilizers, etc. and less chemical reactions occur.
In addition, permanent magnets are created by a combination of Platinum and Cobalt, this is a type of magnet used frequently in medical instruments, machinery, watches, …
About 30% of Platinum is used in jewelry and the most beautiful diamonds in the world are displayed in a plate made of Pt. Collections of jewelry made with highly prized Platinum come at a hefty price tag.
Therefore, many famous brands use Platinum in their works to help products have high gloss, less wear and tear during use, so the product price is more valuable, improving the quality of the brand. brand name and reputation.
What does Platinum wedding ring mean in marriage?
The ring is a symbol of love, a sacred object and has a very important meaning on the wedding day, it is not only an external jewelry but also carries many profound meanings.
With high gloss, rarity and purity, wedding rings made from the much loved Platinum material are the choice to preserve good relationships. Platinum wedding ring was born with a great meaning to express eternal love
Represents pure love
Platinum ring is not mixed with other metals, has a high shine, is always shining, so it represents the purity of love, a pure love. This is something that is needed in any relationship, purity is not calculated to make love last.
A rare love
Since Platinum is a rare metal, Platinum wedding rings with the desire to have this characteristic express in love that two people’s love for each other is irreplaceable and no one can interfere, love is sacred between two people, no one has the right to be in between, only two hearts that are in harmony can come together.
Platinum’s low corrosion properties make Platinum wedding rings more valuable. Hope love will always last forever, without cracks, without scratches, symbolizing long-term happiness, couples also walk together to the end of the road.
Limitations of Platinum
Platinum has very high boiling and melting points, great ductility and good corrosion resistance. However, this is also a weak point to create jewelry from Platinum, so it takes a lot of time and skill to create the finished product. Moreover, to manufacture products requires high skills, skilled workers with long experience in the industry.
From the hands of skilled and experienced craftsmen, Platinum jewelry has high quality, beautiful lines, showing luxury and class. Coupled with exquisite finished products and high aesthetic value, the price is extremely expensive, so Platinum jewelry is often loved and respected by the general public.
How to identify real Platinum?
High-value items are often interested by many people, so it is inevitable that there will be confusion in the market. Some ways to identify real Platinum can be applied:
Platinum jewelry is of French origin, stamped with the symbol of a dog’s head. Platinum color is natural white, so the product will have a natural shine, so it has high aesthetics.
Although the Platinum value is 1.7-2 times higher than white gold, when placed side by side it is difficult to distinguish which is Platinum and which is white gold with the naked eye. However, the weight of jewelry made of Platinum is heavier than that of white gold, as Platinum is the heaviest element in chemistry and therefore on the basis of weight it can be distinguished. The color of products from white platinum is naturally bright, durable over time.
On the other hand, the cost of products from Platinum is higher than that of products from other materials, because Platinum is a rare metal, through the processing process, the cost is higher.
The easiest way to lighten Platinum
Platinum is a metal that is not corroded by acids, so jewelry made from Platinum does not rust during use. However, regular use inevitably gets dusty, making the jewelry not as shiny as when it was newly crafted, otherwise it will make the jewelry blurry.
So, brighten your jewelry by doing the following:
- Step 1: Mix warm water, ratio of ammonia: washing powder = 1 : 1
- Step 2: Soak the jewelry to be cleaned in the water mixed in step 1 for 15-20 minutes
- Step 3: Remove the jewelry from the water, then use a gentle scrub brush to clean
- Step 4: Dip the jewelry in the water mixed a few more times, then rinse with cold water
- Step 5: Use a cloth to gently wipe the jewelry.
Above is some information about Platinum, hopefully this article helps you understand Platinum and its applications in life and how to distinguish Platinum from white gold, silver when Platinum is a rare metal. Lamchutaichinh.vn We hope that the above article brings a lot of useful information to readers.